Passengers on board the Barauni-New Delhi 12552 superfast Vaishali Express had a narrow escape when a fire broke out on the train. The sleeper compartment (S2) caught fire at the Muzaffarpur Railway Station around 70 kms north of Patna on Tuesday morning. The train was delayed for over two hours due to the incident.
As the train was departing from the Basti railway station for Gonda, sparks and smoke were spotted above the fan in the general compartment. The fire spread to the entire compartment within minutes wreaking havoc among the passengers on board.
Passengers pulled the emergency chain but the train showed no signs of stopping. They started shouting for help and managed to get the guard’s attention who immediately informed the train driver. The driver brought the train to a halt and
Sanjay Kumar, a passenger on board Vaishali Express said ”I smelt something burning after the train left Narayanpur Anant railway station. I tried to locate where the odour was coming from but could not. The train had just reached Muzaffarpur, when I heard some people shouting that a bogie had caught fire.”
The divisional rail manager (DRM) Vinod Kumar Yadav said all passengers were safe and the bogey in which fire broke out was ‘cut off’ from the train at the Lakhpatrai railway station.
“Prima facie, the reason for the fire appears to be electric overcharging. The incident will be probed,” Mr. Yadav said.
As the train resumed its journey to New Delhi, many passengers refused to board it again. Passengers who were wary of continuing their travel on the train were sent onward on other trains.